In this article, I will share with you some best tools to check the complete Domain Ownership History.
Imagine choosing a pleasant, attractive, and memorable name for your business, and now it is time to take it online. What if you know the name already has a dark past that everybody in the industry knows about?
This will totally drain your business even before it enters the market correctly. You must check your domain name ownership history before you get your credit card.
This is one of the most crucial things to do if you deal with expired domains. You don’t want to be one of them.
Now, who has the time to do the Google search and know the domain’s history? Also, honestly, there is no exact information available in the market. So, what to do?
Not to worry, we are here with the 5 best tools in the market to help you come up with the correct information.
So, know who has been using your domain name in the past through a detailed Domain Ownership History using these 5 best tools.
Ready to explore? Hope on board.
5 Tools to Check Complete Domain Ownership History
GoDaddy is one of the most popular platforms where people get their desired domain name. Where you can get the best domain names, it also shows you the details of who has been behind your websites right now and before you bought it.
GoDaddy’s WHOIS is a totally reliable and trustable tool you can go for. It searches fields and lets you know whether the domain is available for your purchase or not.
If you are concerned about the domain owner, GoDaddy is your go-to option, even though it’s a paid service.
It not only shows you the expired/deleted domain results but also records the registrar’s information and presents it to you in an easy-to-get manner.
Features of Godaddy:
- Know the creation, expiration, and ownership of the domain.
- Let you know when it’s the right time to scoop the domain.
- Works as the finest domain broker service provider.
- Helps you negotiate with the domain owner.
- Presents your registration information whenever possible.
On the second, we have who.is which is pretty apparent, as the name suggests, it shows who has been behind your domain previously.
It is one of the best tools that work for you for free, fantastic, right?
It simply tracks down your domain name since the day it was first launched and shows you full-fledged information you need to know, along with the IP addresses used.
Who.is is pretty simple to understand; it shows you all the information in an easy-to-understand stats form. This is the place where you will not only find all the essential details but also keep an eye on top domains by tracking their activities.
This is precious because then you can know about your competitors before they become a competition. See what I mean?
Features of Who.Is:
- Shows you the history of everything, including current ownership.
- Track domain information from multiple registrars.
- Keeps everything organized using a dashboard you are assigned.
- Gets you all the relevant, accurate, ad updated information in one place.
- There’re historical records, DNS, and much other important information with a few clicks.
- Sends you alert emails whenever there is an activity of the search domains.
3. Web.Archive.org (WayBack)
Next, we have web.archive.org, which shows you who used your website before. That’s even before you have purchased your domain name because that’s crucial what you should be buying next.
With the help of Web.archive.org, you can discover the past of your selected domain name and all the media posted with the timeline. Isn’t it awesome?
The key to using this one is to save a copy of your analysis because there is more to the results of your domain name than just the previous owner.
This tool shows you complete HTML information that you need to know. Including text, images, videos, graphics, pages, styles followed, and much more.
Besides, simply go to the website and enter the URL of the domain. Learn the past and take the necessary steps.
Features of Web.Archive.org:
- Shows your media, text, and everything on the website
- Check out the age of the domain
- Can show you more than 360 million pages
- Top-notch storage and collection
- Have a bunch of advanced tools for better research
- Works according to mobile and developer types (goes with the tools)
Another reliable tool you can use to know your domain ownership history is Whoxy which is as good as any other tool.
It has a record of everyone from registries to registrars. Once you go to its domain search option, it does its job and brings together all the information available.
After that, it structures the information in JSON or XML, making it even easier to understand by the developers.
Whoxy is known for its accuracy and presentation. Wondering why is that? There is history lookup, endpoints checkup, API balance checkup, reverse lookup, and much more that works extremely significantly for your domain name research.
There are 2 types of plans you can go for with Whoxy. One is free, and one is paid. The free plan is okay for you if you are a beginner and want just the essential information.
However, if you want something advanced, go for the paid one for coding and complete endpoint descriptions.
Features of Whoxy:
- The paid plan goes like $2 for 100 web searches and $1000 for 1 million domain searches.
- You will find API support that supports 2026 domain extensions.
- There are 345 domain names available.
- You can record only 1,00,000 domains.
- Many search options include registered domain, deleted domain, free API programs, expired domains, and many other types of services.
5. Domain Tools
Last but not least, there is DomainTools which is another good domain ownership research tool. If you are a professional or too serious about your domain research, you can choose this one blindly.
It’s not like other tools are bad, but this one is a paid solution that will cost you a minimum of $99 per user.
Yes, the Domain Tools solution shows you historical information of your selected domain, but there is more to it.
It gives you the stats you need with a comprehensive and easy-to-understand database to make an informed decision.
You can easily keep an eye on domain ownership changes with the complete previous and present trials. Simply enter the domain URL in the box introduce yourself with the valuable domain history data.
Features of Domain Tools:
- You can have up to 15 years of history in the domain.
- There is an IP address, DNS data, whois record, associated screenshots, etc.
- It also informs you whether the domain is of high or low risk.
- Click on a date to access data of that period (only for professional users)
- It shows you typo-generator, cross-IP lookups, and Name Server, spy.
- There are DNS tools like ping and traceroute.
- Shows you sale research and domain auctions searches.
FAQs related to Domain History
[sc_fs_multi_faq headline-0=”h2″ question-0=”👉 What is domain history?” answer-0=”It’s pretty much like a powerful investigation report you need to have before investing in your domain name. It refers to the domain history containing part owners’ information, address, registration details, and contact information. That is what is also known as the WHOIS records.” image-0=”” headline-1=”h2″ question-1=”💁♂️ How can you see domain history?” answer-1=”Domain names are registered with a registry, registrant, and registrar with all the relevant information required. There may not be too deep details available for you because something is kept private for security reasons. Still, you can definitely see the information which is truly available out there in publishing. That’s how these tools gather all this information, save time for you, and show you the relevant information.” image-1=”” count=”2″ html=”true” css_class=””]
Conclusion- Tools to Check Complete Domain Ownership History 2023
It can be a challenging job to go for a domain name that has a dark history behind it. However, the sad part is, only a few people care about that time of information.
Sure, you do want to be one of them. So, no need to look around or scroll through pages and pages on Google to find the accurate result.
There are these 5 unique tools you can rely on. Just know the complete domain ownership history and decide what you need to do.